The Power of Giving Witness

>> Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Power of Giving Witness
by Father Jeffrey Jambon, LC

Resolution: In your next conversation at work or school, do not be silent about your faith in Christ.

March 24, 2008
Monday in the Octave of Easter

Matthew 28: 8-15
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went away quickly from the tomb, fearful yet overjoyed, and ran to announce this to his disciples. And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them. They approached, embraced his feet, and did him homage. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." While they were going, some of the guards went into the city and told the chief priests all that had happened. They assembled with the elders and took counsel; then they gave a large sum of money to the soldiers, telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came by night and stole him while we were asleep.' And if this gets to the ears of the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble." The soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has circulated among the Jews to the present day.

Introductory Prayer: Lord, I truly believe in you because you have filled my heart with your peace and joy this Easter week. I hope in you because you are worthy of trust. Jesus, I love you and thank you for the many gifts that you have granted me, especially in creating and redeeming me.

Petition: Lord, may my faith be deep, simple and selfless.

1. Do Not Be Afraid Fear is the number one thing that hinders the building of Christ’s Kingdom in a soul. As it was for Mary Magdalene, fears become obsolete and pointless for someone convinced that Christ has indeed risen and is now revealing himself. Fears arise when certainty in Christ wavers, and obstacles subtly work their way into the mind and heart. At those times, the soul needs to dig deep and renew the spirit in sincere prayer.

2. Go and Tell My Brothers Christ senses an open heart in Mary Magdalene. She definitely loves Christ and has missed him so dearly. She discovers that he is alive, and her joy-filled amazement assures Christ that he can count on her to do anything that he needs. Christ therefore gives her the task of bearing witness to his resurrection. Christ does not have to wonder if she will balk at the invitation. She promptly commits herself to the apostolate of Christ and spreads his good news to all she encounters.

3. The Soldiers Took the Bribe The Gospel says that when the women left the empty tomb, the soldiers also left. However, unlike the women who reported the good news to the brothers, they went to Jerusalem to take a bribe, spread a false report, and make the lives of Jesus’ disciples painful. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went forward, full of love and commitment in their hearts. We, too, should concentrate on Christ and transmitting what we have experienced in him. We should be less concerned with the countless setbacks that might surround our efforts – our message is more important than our fears.

Conversation with Christ: Lord, you know how weak I am and how I worry about what others think of me. Help me to be convinced of how much you love me. Grant me an enthusiastic heart that serves you unremittingly and manifests itself in the apostolate for the good of the Church and humanity. Lord, you can count on me.

Resolution: In my next conversation at work or school, I will not be silent about my faith in Christ.

URL: http://www.catholic.net/spiritual_living/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=6

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP